Announcement

Signups are now manually approved by request. See this post for more info.

#1 August 16, 2023 02:44 AM

rails
Sysoperator
Website
Windows 10Firefox 116.0

IglooPipe will close soon...

UPDATE (2023-09-02): IglooPipe is now closed and all content uploaded to that website has been removed from this server. All videos uploaded by users (along with a MySQL dump with all the information about them) are available on Internet Archive.

It pains me to do this, but due to some problems and indecisions, I have made the final decision to close IglooPipe.

Why?
Gradually I've noticed that this project no longer fulfills what Igloo Cafe wanted to be, a retro-Internet place about simple things and classic/retro videogames (mainly multiplayer-related stuff), not a place for services like this. Also, I've started to get bored of maintaining and updating this, as well as wanting to avoid DMCA claims that might affect this server.

And yes, if you ask me why I don't just make this separate from Igloo Cafe, leave it to someone else or just make the signups public, the answer is that I don't want to, I don't care, and haven't had the interest yet to add moderators to review IglooPipe content because I hadn't finished creating the admin panel yet.

When will it happen?
This project will close on September 01, 2023. After that date, all content will be backed up and deleted from the server. The website will be inaccessible and you will be redirected to a closure message that will be in effect until September 10, where I will disable the website and it will redirects you to the Igloo Cafe homepage. Any video embed that has been placed on a website will simply display a closing message and a link to view the video on Internet Archive.

What will happen in the meantime?
Maybe in a few weeks, I will be disabling new video uploads and the signup page.

What will happen to the videos?
I will be reuploading all of them to the Internet Archive publicly for preservation.

Will you release the IglooPipe source code?
That's what I've been thinking for a long time. The IglooPipe code was available for a while but due to embarrassment I decided to make it private again. Maybe when I feel like taking it up this again personally I might make it public or just release it as is, although it is very badly structured...

I thank everyone who was able to test this project, share their videos and report bugs, it was a lot of fun. smile
RIP April 2023 - August 2023

Last edited by rails (September 02, 2023 07:06 AM)

igloocafe.gif

Registered users online in this topic: 0, guests: 1
[Bot] ClaudeBot

Board footer